Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Long day spent at U of M and yet, nothing done...damn machine kind of day

Don't you hate it when the 'machines are acting up' ?  Today, I took my sister Barb to her first radiation treatment at the U of M hospital.  We were called and told that they were running behind, and that the machine was not working like it should - so to come in at 12n instead of 1120am.  We did, and Barb went in and I set up my computer to work.  Half hour later, Barb comes back out saying we were being sent to have lunch 'on them' until they could re-calibrate the machine - it was not quite working like they wanted it too.  So, an hour and a half later - we were buzzed (one of those buzzers like at Red Lobster - your table is ready - kind of buzzer) and she went back in to undress once again.

I set up to work, and another half hour and out comes Barb again, dressed - and we were told that the machine is not working at all- so we needed to be rescheduled.  So after we were there for over three hours, nothing was done.  The treatment was tacked on the end of the already scheduled dates.  It makes the last radiation treatment scheduled for the day before she starts chemo - she will be tired.  I worry.

So, we did what anyone would do in this situation - we went shopping after the non-treatment, and that was nice.  In a way, it de-stressed the whole day, and we thought that it was kind of funny, after all, the machines rule.  I felt like Linda Hamilton in the Terminator role of Sara Conner - don't trust the machines, they are evil, etc.  Then thought maybe I should be the Terminator - let the machine kill her cancer.  Keep going until its dead.  Hopefully, this will be it - three times is enough.  I have odd thoughts sometimes, but it made sense when I was driving home.  Chalk it up to - it was a long day.

Earlier, I told Barb she should give up cancer for Lent - it starts tomorrow as you know, because we ate Paczki's - Bavarian Creme!  So, that was a good thing for today as well.  If you can't make jokes at the worse time in your life, and laugh at the situation - then you just cry.  And we all have cried enough.  Funny too, that our sister Pat knew instantly, that when we didn't have the treatment, that we went shopping.  Retail therapy really helps. And sisters, like the three of us - we know each other really well.  We compliment each other, our personalities mesh, you know?  And retail therapy, we all do in our own way.  I bought a present for my husband, my friend, my soul mate's birthday - it's coming up next week.  I bought a bottle, with a message in it.  I'm not telling what the message says.  I also bought a fry pan.  To each their own.

As well as a crappy day - we are expecting another ice storm come morning, to just ease us into the mid week.  Its funny, just today someone told me that after today, the initials of the week goes W T F - and we are going to get beat up again by old man winter - and I for one, want to speak to that damn groundhog that saw his shadow or didn't see his shadow, what ever!  But, we are supposed to have an early spring...he lies.

I will do some writing tomorrow, as I will be waiting for a delivery for my husband (etc) that has to be signed for.  Hopefully the Fed Ex truck will come in the bad weather.  I will play the In and Out game with the puppies - speaking of which, sometime between the time I came home (530pm) and when my husband came home (620pm) Leo lost his necklace - you know, his collar - out in our dog run - nearly an acre of hill that is covered in snow (and three dog's poop).  It was already dark, and I didn't see it with a flashlight.  So, I will have to look for it tomorrow.  In the ice storm.  Maybe it would be easier to just buy a new one - retail therapy!  Maybe take Boomer, he needs a car ride...

D M Wiseman,  not happy with the weather man, or that damn groundhog, or machines, published author...

No comments:

Post a Comment