Friday, February 18, 2011

Thawing out on a Friday and two funerals...

It's a wet Friday - everything is thawing, all of a sudden it seems.  The snow is almost gone on our property, which means since the ground is still frozen, the water is just sitting everywhere.  Our pond is overflowing, and water is rushing down the hill from the ugly house up on their hill (they have 40 acres, built twenty feet from the DIRT road, and it is ugly, really.  It's ugly!) and is flooding our area.  Our house is higher up on our hill, so no worries about flooding us out, just our little bit of land is drowning ...

A couple of years ago, the weir (a little dam) up on the ugly house's hill (that they mistakenly put boards in to keep the water up on their property to have their own pond) broke.  It freaked out both Lady Bug (Mastiff) as well as Max (Bull Mastiff) and they barked as they went absolutely crazy.  It sounded like a train was coming!  The water was coming down the hill in a six foot across rush of water.  Normally it trickles constantly in about a 4 inch little river, and our pond free flows in about a 4 inch river to the pond to the house behind us.  Their pond flows out to a larger creek behind the next house.  This water way has a fresh water spring, and our pond even has fish!  But, when the weir broke, the water amount was scary. 

Today though, the water was coming from everywhere but the weir.  It's the snow that's melting and causing the water everywhere.  I am a bit worried about the pool, it is now getting filled with the water thawing, and Gracie had never seen the pool not frozen.  I am worried about the drowning thing... I already had that scare once with Boomer, when he was just a baby - around this same time, actually March 4th...I remember it well.  Boom almost died, was a near drowning victim, and ended up with aspiration pneumonia.  I could hold him in my arms, he was so little...but Gracie is full grown and I can't lift her out of the water...  It gives me the chills.  Ok, I guess I will be actually playing the In and Out game for my self today...until she stays off the pool...

This morning, my husband, my friend, my soul mate and I will be at his friend's memorial service, and then after the luncheon, we will be going to a different funeral for our other friend's showing.  It is a sad day for us, and for the families.  He is having a stressful day and I hope to help him through it as best I can.  Nothing puts your life into a perspective, like a funeral.  Or two in one day...

I am taking this early time to write a bit, to get my thoughts down on paper.  I'm not sure that I will be getting any writing done today or even tomorrow.  I will be at my sister Pat's house with our sister Barb, and our wonderful niece Cherie.  We are having a girl type weekend, before the daily U of M visits begin.  I take my sister Barb for her treatments and daily radiation.  Cancer sucks.  It actually says that on the wall of the radiation department - outside in the parking lot.  That says it all, by the way.  Cancer does suck, there is no other way to say it without swearing and going straight to hell - which by the way the treatment takes you, while it's killing the cancer.  Can't say it any plainer that that.

My thoughts on the new novel which is a "End of the World, Woman in Charge, Guns, Dreams and a new family way of life..." kind of book - that I have been thinking about and playing with on long drives, and told my son S - who thinks I should write, and so I think I will.  I started putting my thoughts down about it and yet I need to add some more of the guns, shooting, and maybe a good amount of intrigue as well as a few good aimed shots...

D M Wiseman,   wet from the thaw, and sad from our loss, author

No comments:

Post a Comment