Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dug out and snuggled in - after the EPIC STORM of the century...

After all the hype for the storm, after watching the Weather Channel for hours, keeping up with the actual weather by talking on facebook with my friends and family all over the state - I realized that I learned a lot about weather.  New words, new phrases, and a lot of disaster predictions. 

Epic, Massive, Historic, Snowpocalypse, Snowmagedon, and End of Days Storm of 2011- but the best one was Thurndersnow.  No one can tell us what that one is!  We, in the rural area of MI was hit worse by the wind - we have a lot of drifts - as in one of my vehicles is completely covered and the Jeep next to it, is not at all.  The garage door was drifted over, but the back door was clear.  We got about a foot of snow, and I can't tell if it is snowing or the snow is blowing it around making it look like it's snowing.  But, we are all warm and safe, Boomer is actually awake and playing with a bone he stole from Gracie who is attempting to steal it back.  A new game!  I am snuggled in with a blanket around my legs, as I have ice on my broken toe (kicked the stairs yesterday and baby toe is broken! Ouch.).  So, all is well in rural MI...

My husband, my friend, my soul mate is also my hero.  The township he works in, cancelled work for today - meaning he doesn't have to go to work in this weather.  But, he is on the way to work now, anyway.  He dug out the garage, he used the snow blower to clear the driveway, and took his 4 wheel drive red truck and is braving the snow, the massive epic historic snow storm to get to his station.  He is my hero and he is others too.  Everyone loves him.  He is a really nice guy.  As I said, my hero!

But me - and the dogs, are snuggled in, watching re-runs of House, and clicking to the local weather channel, which is better than TV, they keep showing people trying to move a little car out of a huge snow bank, and all the accidents.  Its like the comedy channel.  So, I click back and forth for my own amusement.  I do have the ultimate question - if all the schools are closed - (as in the continuous ticker tape of what is closed) - why don't they just show what schools ARE OPEN.  Wouldn't that be easier?  Who is going to send their kids out in this weather anyway?  It's a long standing question...

So far this week, I have sold a few books, I wrote a new novel, and its only Wednesday.  The week is going pretty good for me.  There does seem to be a lot of snow, and wind and cold weather, but hopefully the world is not ending and we will all go on with our lives.  After all, snow will melt, then they'll warn us about flooding - so we'll watch the TV for that EPIC Flood of 2011.

I am also laughing about that whole groundhog thing - he said we will have an early spring.  Seriously?  On the day of the Massive Epic Historical Snow Storm - telling us spring is coming?  That is just too much - it is like a Sci Fi Disaster movie.  Where is one of the Baldwin brothers when you need them?  I think we should all check that groundhog's credentials, maybe check his college transcripts because it doesn't look like spring is coming...well not today, anyway.

D M Wiseman, author of four, working on the fifth, snowed in....

No comments:

Post a Comment