Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Third day of blogging...writing...waiting for the snow...

I am on page 226 of re-writing the novel I wrote in 1997.  I have really gotten into this, as I only re-found (is that a word?) it three days agao and had forgotten some of the story line.  It's good, I'd buy it - even if it is mine!  Ha.

So, I sit here with the computer on my lap, one dog at my feet (Gracie so she doesn't lick her incision that broke open! got infected and is the casue of my house arrest!) and the other dog leaning on my right arm - snoring so loud I can't hear the white noise from the TV (Boomer likes to snuggle, and is a major snorer being a Bull Dog that is very brachecephalic - meaning smashed face, pallet issue - snorer!) re-writing this cool story that last night, I stopped typing, and just read the pages.  I really wonder why no one would publish it back then...

Then, I remembered that one publishing company said if it was about American Indains - they would consider it - note that the book is based in Ireland, about an Irish family, about Irish traditions.  No, can't change it to be about American Indians...
A second company wanted me to make it 'dated' as in like the Victorian times.  No, its based in the now, that is part of the plot - changing years of traditions.  So, can't change that either.
Others needed only already published authors, someone with an agent, and some wanted me to pay them. 

So, if you are not published already, have an current agent (which by the way - some of them want you to be already published) or meet Victorian, American Indian plot lines, or pay for it yourself, you don't get published.  Until now, you can do it yourself!  Like I did.

So, I didn't publish in 1997, finished my Master's Degree instead.  Paid for that, by the way. But now, I will publish this novel - "The Claddagh Promise" - and I like it.  So did my famous sister in law Holly, back in 1997.  So, I made it a little bit better, updated some of the slang and actual news items, and will put it on http://www.smashwords.com/

I will probably finish it today, as I am on page 226 of a 288 re-write, still in the house with dogs, waiting for the 'snow storm' of the year. Yeah.  Emailing my cover artist today as well - I can see a red rose, and the Claddagh ring on the cover.  Maybe with a light green background, it is based in Ireland...what do you thnk?

DMWiseman, an almost three time author...

No comments:

Post a Comment